When the public thinks of any harmful drug interactions, marijuana or cannabis is rarely seen as part of the entire equation. Since most people are unaware of the effects, this is what makes it even more dangerous. Numerous possible risks are involved by using narcotic pain medications such as tramadol and this illicit drug. Some of the dangers associated with this combination are impaired decision-making and other physical dangers.
Higher Risk of Having Seizures
The risk of having seizures in some users like those who have previous head trauma, metabolic disorder and uses other prescription medications is increased by tramadol. Since a part of this medication is serotonin-reuptake inhibitor, cannabis adds to the effect of this drug which may trap the serotonin inside the body. When this happens, it can cause seizures or even worse. Users may be put at substantial risk depending on where and when these seizures occur.
For those people who combine pain medications and marijuana, it is important to understand that seizure is not the only health risk. In CNS or central nervous system, depression is considered as one of the deadliest threat involved in combining these drugs. Usually, it happens when an individual takes several prescription pills such as anti-anxiety and pain medicines. This can result to slowing down of central nervous system up to a dangerous low level. Cannabis can also generate this kind of depression when taken with tramadol.
Health Risks Related to Marijuana
It is imperative to know that it is not possible for a person to overdose on cannabis but on tramadol, it is likely to happen. Marijuana is known to impair the decision-making abilities of the user and may cause a person to:
- forget the amount of pain reliever that has been taken already
- take risks that he may not usually take
- make bad judgment because of reduced awareness and inhibitions
- make perilous choices such as driving a vehicle after taking the drugs
- fail to determine the difference between allergic reaction and pain reliever overdose
Paranoia induced by cannabis can add to bad decision making or a choice to ingest pain reliever to calm stress and anxiety.
Treatment to Addiction or Abuse
By seeking help from professionals to treat drug addiction, it removes the involved health risks and helps the person to control their lives once again. Here are the proper treatments that are being utilized for marijuana and tramadol abuse that include:
- a treatment plan that is personalized and address that utilization of all the involved substances
- detox services which is medically supervised to eliminate or reduce withdrawal symptoms
- alternative and traditional methods to address the issues that results to drug use
- a holistic treatment approach that cure the individual as a whole and not only the addiction
- education about relapse-prevention techniques which empower a quick and strong recovery
- recognition of the relapse triggers as well as the creation of a treatment plant to keep away from the triggering factors
- detection of co-occurring mental health problems and mood disorders
- aftercare support by one-on-one counseling and group therapy
An individual can fight an illness with will power. Marijuana and tramadol addiction is a health issue that requires an immediate treatment.